FINO A.C. is a non-profit organization with the mission of promoting education in rural communities surrounding San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. We provide after-school programs, scholarships, and educational tools such as libraries and computers. Our goal is to reduce the alarming dropout rate among rural Mexican children, to build confidence and self-esteem, and to foster a love of learning.
- We work in the communities to offer after-school programs for children in grades 3 to 6 that support the existing education system.
- We motivate and encourage children to continue their education through high school by offering them scholarships and by introducing them to students and professionals from Mexico and abroad who serve as role models and mentors.
- The concept of FINO is to challenge out-migration by offering educational opportunities to children in rural communities surrounding San Miguel de Allende.
- We encourage children to take ownership of their community by planting trees, recycling, composting, and keeping their environment clean and safe.
- We nurture values of responsibility, respect, initiative, teamwork, and commitment through our programs.
- By 2014, FINO will expand its programming to grades 7 to 9 (SecundarÃa).
- By 2015, 50% of FINO participants will attend high school.
- By 2017, a FINO alumni association will be established.
- By 2017, FINO will introduce its model to three new villages.